Courtney Richard Volleyball Scholarship
The SYA Volleyball Scholarship is named in honor of Courtney Richard. Courtney developed her volleyball skills on the CYA and SYA courts and became an outstanding setter at Chantilly High School where she played on the Freshman and Junior Varsity teams. In June of 2004, at the end of her sophomore year, Courtney passed away from complications due to viral meningitis. In 2005, SYA renamed our Scholarship to honor Courtney’s passion for volleyball.
2016 Senior Courtney Richard Volleyball Scholarship Since 2003, SYA Volleyball has awarded this annual scholarship to help graduates defray a portion of their continuing education expenses. This year, SYA Volleyball will award one scholarship to a graduate (from high school) to be used at the school of his/her choice.
Southwestern Youth Association (SYA) Volleyball is asking for nominations for their 2017 SYA Volleyball Scholarship (Courtney Richard Scholarship). This annual scholarship is awarded by SYA Volleyball to help graduates defray a portion of their continuing education expenses. This year, SYA Volleyball will award one $3,000 scholarship to a graduate (from high school) to be used at the school of his/her choice. If a Scholarship winner is ineligible to accept the monetary award because of NCAA scholarship restrictions, an additional SYA Volleyball scholarship will be awarded. It is noted that the scholarship check will be sent to the school the award recipient will be attending.
Should you like to be considered for this scholarship, please prepare the following information and return to the SYA Volleyball Commissioner by April 28, 2017.
Please use the following format on plain paper or in Word or Word Perfect format:
- Name, address, phone number and email address of the candidate.
- Youth Volleyball team affiliation(s), if any, and years of affiliation (Rec., Club and High School and any coaching or refereeing done (yrs/seasons)
- High School attended, GPA
- College or other school you will attend
- Essay about how you have made a difference to your team(s) and contributed to the SYA Volleyball philosophy of developing a “love for the sport, advanced skills, teamwork, and the principles of good sportsmanship”
- Other pertinent information such as community service, church activities, school activities other than volleyball, etc. Please indicate time spent and levels of responsibility.
The total application should be no more than two pages.
Criteria used to select the recipients includes:
- Volleyball Team Commitment and Leadership
- SYA Participation & Involvement
- School and Community Involvement
Completed application should be sent to the email address noted below.
Click Below To Translate:
SYA Office Location: 5950 Centreville Crest Lane, Centreville, VA 20121 | SYA Mailing Address: Southwestern Youth Association, P.O. Box 471, Centreville, VA 20122 Phone: (703) 815-3362 | Fax: (703) 815-2180 | E-mail: email@example.com | Designed by GroupNet Solutions