In preparation for the 2017-2018 school year, approximately 100 FCPS PE teachers were provided instruction how to incorporate rugby-based activities into their PE curriculum. Using the Rookie Rugby professional development course, instructors demonstrated the connection between rugby, the FCPS Standard of Learning, and the elementary pacing guide. Teachers, representing elementary, middle, high school and special needs schools across the county, went through a series of fun, rugby-based activities that showed the progression of skills development and gave them an idea of which activities to incorporate in their curriculum.
- FCPS In-Service Handout (Rugby-based Activities) <– Teachers, start here
- Rookie Rugby Skill Cards (view online / PDF download)
- Rookie Rugby Game Cards (view online / PDF download)
- Slide deck of Rookie Rugby for FCPS Lead Teachers (PDF download)
- Elementary: size 3 ball for kindergarten through 2nd/3rd grade, size 4 ball for 4th-6th grade (~$15-20)
- Middle & High School: size 4 ball (size 5 ball can be used for competitive play)
Find a youth rugby program near you! @Rugby Virginia