SYA East will hold tryouts on Saturday, February 24, 2018 for players that have registered to play at “player-pitch” levels. If you are unable to attend on Saturday, you must contact Regina Johnson, the East Player Agent. Returning 2017 Spring Majors players are not required to attend tryouts. Tryout location is indoors at Rip City (42680 Trade West Dr, Sterling, VA).
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your start time for check-in and warm-ups.
Saturday, February 24 (Primary Tryout)
2pm – Ages 9 and Under
4pm – Age 10 and Over
ALL PLAYERS (Player Pitch Levels) MUST ATTEND THE EVALUATIONS/TRYOUTS. If you cannot make this tryout, please contact the SYA East Player Agent Regina Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding a potential make-up.
Please note all the following information:
– Wear tennis shoes (no cleats) as this is an indoor facility
– Bring a bat, glove and a helmet (if you have them / we will have extras)
– Please DO NOT bring entire equipment bags (there will not be enough room)
– Players should run and stretch before they arrive (throw, if possible)
– Each session will last roughly 90 minutes
– A parent should attend and stay (please no siblings if possible)
We do not have very much room in the waiting area so it is important that only one parent attend the tryouts. If you can car pool, that is even better.
Remind your child to relax and have fun during the evaluations. The coaches aren’t worried about results. They are simply looking at form and some other things. Tryouts typically follow a structure similar to the below, so review it with your child to help them feel more comfortable:
– Check-In and receive number sticker to place on shirt
– Run 60 ft. touch a cone and run back (total 120 ft.)
– Play catch with coach from 50-70 ft.
– Take 3 pop-ups from coach
– Take 3 ground balls from coach
– Bunt 1 pitch and then take 6 swings
– We will allow players to Pitch if there is time
Again, tryouts are just a part of how we decide where your child should be placed. Our coaches and board members share information from previous seasons to put children in the best possible place to have success.