As we continue to play in spring and summer, thunderstorms are constant. Please remember the following pertains to all members of SYA.
Stay Safe When a Thunderstorm Threatens
- At the first clap of thunder, go indoors or into an enclosed vehicle. Remain inside until 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder. thunderstorm watch means there is a possibility of a thunderstorm in your area.
- A thunderstorm warning means a thunderstorm is occurring or will likely occur soon. If you are advised to take shelter then do so immediately.
- If you can hear thunder, seek shelter. Even if it is not raining, lightning can strike within 10 miles of an area that is experiencing rain.
- Stop all outdoor activities at the first clap of thunder to give yourself time to move indoors. Leaders of outdoor events should have a plan for moving participants inside.
- If you cannot go indoors, squat low to the ground to make yourself the smallest target possible. Go to a low-lying area and stay away from trees, poles and metal objects.
- Avoid electrical equipment, plumbing, windows and concrete floors and walls when indoors during a thunderstorm.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately if someone has been struck by lightning. People who have been struck by lightning do not carry an electrical charge.