The SYA Softball Program is organized into a five league structure. An overview of the spring league structure and game and practice schedules is shown below. In the fall, we run an instructional program in which teams practice one day a week and play one game on Saturday.
See the General Rules for all leagues for the rules that govern all league play. See the individual league rules for those rules specific to that league.
- Little Junior League – Rules
- Mike Lalli, Coordinator
- Ages 4 – 6. Rubberized 11″ softballs. Coaches pitch 3 pitches, then players use a tee. No stealing is allowed. Practices are held once a week. One game is played each week.
- Junior League – Rules | Umpire Guide
- Click to Volunteer, Coordinator
- Ages 7 – 8. Rubberized 11″ softballs. Players pitch 3 pitches, then coaches pitch. Runners may steal one base per batter; runners may not leave a base until the ball crosses home plate; runners may not steal home. Practices are held once or twice a week. One or two games are played each week.
- Minor League – Rules | Umpire Guide
- Shashana Courtney, Coordinator
- Ages 9 – 10. Regulation 11″ softballs. Players pitch from 35 feet; no walks are allowed; after 4 balls, the coach pitches. Runners may steal one base per batter; runners may not leave a base until the ball crosses home plate. Practices are held once a week. Two games are played each week, including one on a weeknight and one on Saturday.
- Major League – Rules
- Cristy Larkin, Coordinator
- Ages 11 – 12. Regulation 12″ softballs. Players pitch from 40 feet; walks are allowed. Runners can steal one base per pitch; runners may leave their base when the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. Practices are held once a week. Two games are played each week, including one on a weeknight and one on Saturday.
- Senior League (Middle School 7-8/High School 9-12) – Rules
- John Parks, Coordinator
- Ages 13 – 18. Regulation 12″ softballs. Players pitch from 43 feet. Unlimited stealing. Practices are held twice a week. 2-3 games are played each week, including one on a weeknight and double-header Saturday.
For the fall season, teams begin practicing in mid August. Games begin the Saturday after Labor Day, and the season typically ends the last Saturday in October.
For the spring season, teams begin practicing in mid March with two practices a week during the preseason. Games begin in early April. The regular season generally ends the first week of June. All leagues except Little Juniors then conduct a single elimination tournament.
Leagues follow Amateur Softball Association (ASA) Junior Olympic softball rules with some modifications to facilitate player development in the younger age groups. Coaches act as umpires in the Little Junior League. The Juniors use parent volunteers. The Minors use SYA-trained umpires. The Majors and Seniors use ASA umpires for their games.
Click Below To Translate:
SYA Office Location: 5950 Centreville Crest Lane, Centreville, VA 20121 | SYA Mailing Address: Southwestern Youth Association, P.O. Box 471, Centreville, VA 20122 Phone: (703) 815-3362 | Fax: (703) 815-2180 | E-mail: email@example.com | Designed by GroupNet Solutions