Emphasizing Safety, Technique, and Teamwork
SPRING MIDDLE SCHOOL (7th-8th grade) / YOUTH RUGBY (5th-6th) is designed to introduce the sport to athletes up through the 8th grade to the fifteen-a-side contact game of rugby do so in a safe and enjoyable environment. Our experienced and licensed will introduce the sport and the techniques to safely play tackle rugby.
Tackle rugby is played under Rugby Virginia rule modifications which promote safety in consideration of the player’s age, size, and physical and mental maturity. Both tacklers and ball carriers are taught how to tackle and be tackled safely. In particular, rugby tackles are quite different from football tackles. During practices and games, proper technique and safe play are emphasized by coaches and referees.
Have a young lady interested in playing tackle? SYA has several experience female coaches that will serve as excellent role models and we’d love to start a girl’s team as there are several in the area ready . there are several in the area, please email email@example.com more information.
“Transition to Tackle” Clinic (8 sessions, $40)
- When? Tuesdays & Fridays in May, 5:30-7pm
- Description: These sessions are intended to safely introduce the game of rugby and teach proper technique in the contact version of the game. This will give players a chance to make an informed decision whether to play tackle or non-contact tag rugby this summer. Player safety is of utmost importance. Sessions will be 2x/week working on the fundamentals and technique while having fun. We recognize that spring sports are in full swing and we encourage players to try to make the clinic sessions as they are able. Clinic fee covers USA Rugby CIPP registration and a t-shirt.
- Register now: Sign up here
Summer Season Registration
- When? June-July (August as available!) Practices Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:00-7:30pm
- Who’s it for? Boys & Girls currently in 1st-8th grade. We offer two-hand touch programs through the 6th grade and tackle programs starting in the 5th.
- Interested in playing tackle? We encourage players to attend the “Transition to Tackle” clinics in May – try to squeeze in at least one/week!
- Click to Register
Click Below To Translate:
SYA Office Location: 5950 Centreville Crest Lane, Centreville, VA 20121 | SYA Mailing Address: Southwestern Youth Association, P.O. Box 471, Centreville, VA 20122 Phone: (703) 815-3362 | Fax: (703) 815-2180 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Designed by GroupNet Solutions