Emphasizing Safety, Technique, and Teamwork
YOUTH RUGBY (5th-6th) / MIDDLE SCHOOL (7th-8th grade) is designed to introduce the sport to athletes up through the 8th grade to the contact game of rugby in a safe and enjoyable environment. Our experienced and licensed coaches introduce the sport and the techniques to safely play tackle rugby.
Tackle rugby is played under Rugby Virginia rule modifications which promote safety in consideration of the player’s age, size, and physical and mental maturity. Both tacklers and ball carriers are taught how to tackle and be tackled safely. In particular, rugby tackles are quite different from football tackles. During practices and games, proper technique and safe play are emphasized by coaches and referees.
Have a young lady interested in playing tackle? SYA has several experience female coaches that will serve as excellent role models and we’d love to start a girl’s team as there are several in the area ready. Please email email@example.com for more information.
“Transition to Tackle” Clinic (8 sessions, $40)
- When? Tuesdays & Fridays in May, 5:30-7pm (registration closed)
- Description: These sessions are intended to safely introduce the game of rugby and teach proper technique in the contact version of the game. This will give players a chance to make an informed decision whether to play tackle or non-contact tag rugby this summer. Player safety is of utmost importance. Sessions will be 2x/week working on the fundamentals and technique while having fun. We recognize that spring sports are in full swing and we encourage players to try to make the clinic sessions as they are able. Clinic fee covers USA Rugby CIPP registration and a t-shirt.
Summer Season Registration
- When? June-July, & August as available. Practices Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:00-7:30pm
- Who’s it for? Two-hand touch programs for Boys & Girls in 1st through 6th grade, the tackle programs starts in 5th grade.
- Click to Register (Don’t delay, registration closes in 2 weeks!)
Click Below To Translate:
SYA Office Location: 5950 Centreville Crest Lane, Centreville, VA 20121 | SYA Mailing Address: Southwestern Youth Association, P.O. Box 471, Centreville, VA 20122 Phone: (703) 815-3362 | Fax: (703) 815-2180 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Designed by GroupNet Solutions