Each spring, SYA holds a number of Tag & Tackle clinics to introduce the game. Sessions are sporadically scheduled in such a way that kids can play their primary sport yet come out and try rugby. The purpose of the clinics are two fold: (1) introduce the game to new players without significant time or cost commitment (they are FREE) and (2) provide returning players a head start on summer play. No experience required!
- Younger participants (rising 1st-7th graders) will be separated into age-appropriate groups and learn the basics of “two-hand touch” rugby through games-based activities. The goal is to quickly get the ball in each child’s hands, get them running, and have fun!
- Older participants (rising 6th-9th graders) will have the opportunity to try tackle rugby, learning how to safely make contact using “shoulder leverage” techniques. Players of all sizes and abilities are encouraged to participate.
Registration is now OPEN!!! Click to sign up NOW!!!
We’ll follow the same successful model used in the fall. Sessions will be held every other Sunday afternoon for elementary-aged boys and girls, players will be divided by grade groups. As some FCPS schools have started rugby in PE, there’s a lot of interest from new players anxious to play.
- 15-30 minutes – Basics of the Game (focus on new players)
- 15-30 minutes – More-advanced Skill Sessions
- final 60 minutes – Scrimmage!!!
The focus of tackle rugby clinics will be the emphasis of safely initiating contact and more importantly, become comfortable and gain confidence in playing a tackle sport. Sessions will be offered every other Saturday afternoon and will better prepare players for a competitive summer season of rugby or a fall season of football, assist kids in learning safe techniques, and building confidence.
Looking to gain an edge on the competition during the offseason? We welcome SYA football and flag-football players and coaches this spring for our first “Intro to Tackle”. Players from both sports will be instructed on using heads-up, shoulder-leverage tackling techniques.
Format of each practice:
- Initial 15-30 minutes – Warmups, Fitness, Games-based fitness
- 15-30 minutes – Basics of the Game (focus on new players), Tackling and Evasion, & more-advanced Skill Sessions
- final 30-60 minutes – Scrimmage!!!
Click Below To Translate:
SYA Office Location: 5950 Centreville Crest Lane, Centreville, VA 20121 | SYA Mailing Address: Southwestern Youth Association, P.O. Box 471, Centreville, VA 20122 Phone: (703) 815-3362 | Fax: (703) 815-2180 | E-mail: email@example.com | Designed by GroupNet Solutions