2016 Season – Filled with Fun!
We look back at our 4th season with a bit of amazement to see the great strides the boys and girls have taken within our program. SYA has the largest non-contact Tag program in Virginia and we are excited to offer the contact version of the game in 2017.
- 109 boys & girls registered for the summer season, supported by 17 coaches, assistants, and quite a few parents helping out!
- SYA was proud to introduce the only all-girls, non-contact Tag team in Rugby Virginia. Great success in pigtails!
- Nearly 400 kids attended 4 free clinics (2x rugby, 2x multi-sport). Kids were thrilled to have a special motivational speaker at the events in former Washington Redskins WR James Thrash and former USA Eagle Prince Hall. #GrowingTheGame
- Several trophies were earned at the 2016 Rugby Virginia State Tournament to include a 1st place finish from one of our 1st-2nd grade teams
- Rugby food drive collected over 300 pounds of supplies for area food banks
- Our 2nd Fall “Just for Fun”, Sundays-only season culminated with a 1st place finish for our 3rd-4th grade team at the Great Falls/Medstar NRH Fall Tournament (a benefit tournament that raised nearly $1,600 for the National Rehab Hospital Spinal Cord Program)
- For a comprehensive look, download our 2016 Annual Report
Rugby … nothing ventured, nothing gained. See you next season!
Continued growth is anticipated int 2017 as interest in the sport rises with increased public awareness and as knowledge of the game has spread. The growth of the sport supports a nationwide trend – did you know that rugby is the fastest-growing team sport in the United States over the last five years? True story. Bouyed by rising popularity around the world, the sport became the Cinderella/darling event at the 2016 Olympics!