2015 Season – Rugby Rocks
A year of tremendous growth
The word is out, RUGBY ROCKS! In just our third year (Summer 2015), the SYA Youth Rugby program 107 registered players and won a number of trophies at the Rugby Virginia 2015 Summer 7s State Tournament to include the Under 7 State Championship! A pair of FREE clinics were held last Spring to introduce this great sport to kids and their parents – over 120 kids during these events! There are 20+ youth rugby programs in Rugby Virginia, SYA fielded a total of 8 teams in 2014 making the program the largest TAG rugby club in Virginia!
Continued growth is anticipated this year as interest in the sport rises with increased public awareness and as knowledge of the game has spread. The growth of the sport supports a nationwide trend – did you know that rugby is the fastest-growing team sport in the United States over the last five years? True story.
Bouyed by rising popularity around the world, rugby makes its return in the 2016 Olympics! Can you name the two-time defending, gold-medal champions? Hint: its not the New Zealand All-Blacks nor South Africa Springboks, its our own United States Eagles! Granted the titles were earned in 1920 and 1924 but until another team earns those medals, the USA has bragging rights!
Another major event to feature rugby will be the 2015 World Police & Fire Games. The international event, which boasts the 2nd highest attendance in the world behind the Summer Olympics, will be held in the city of Fairfax, VA!
2015 Summer Schedule
Click for photo – 2015 Rugby Virginia TAG State Tournament
The following is a high-level outline of the SYA Youth Rugby schedule for 2015
- Learn to Play Rugby Clinic (~March 28), FREE – no fee to attend! Two part clinic, kids between ages of 5-7 attend 1st hour, kids 8-13 attend 2nd part of clinic.
- Preseason registration available (Preseason Discount: $120/player)
- Learn to Play Rugby Clinic (~Aprill 18), FREE – no fee to attend! Two part clinic, kids between ages of 5-7 attend 1st hour, kids 8-13 attend 2nd part of clinic.
- Summer registration ($130/player). New! $20 discount for multiple family members! Registration closes May 8.
- Practices 2x week/team, Tue & Thu. 6-7pm for u7 and 6-7:30pm for u9, u11, and u13
- Games are played festival-style with each team playing multiple games on Saturday. Games typically run between 9am-2pm.
- Season concludes with the Rugby Virginia State Tournament (Sunday,July 26th)
I’m afraid we can’t play because …
We want rugby to be a fun, stress-free experience. Finish out your spring sports, we understand conflicts – both my kids play travel soccer so I’m familiar with schedule difficulties, we have coaches that also coach baseball into mid-June so yes, you’re likely to miss the first game or two. Relax. Worried about your summer vacation? Take it. Try to avoid any conflicts on Sunday, July 26 – that’s the State Tournament and that’s not something you’re going to want to miss!
Enjoy your summer. Just add rugby
Click Below To Translate:
SYA Office Location: 5950 Centreville Crest Lane, Centreville, VA 20121 | SYA Mailing Address: Southwestern Youth Association, P.O. Box 471, Centreville, VA 20122 Phone: (703) 815-3362 | Fax: (703) 815-2180 | E-mail: email@example.com | Designed by GroupNet Solutions